Open focuses on free, unrestricted online access to content created by users (faculty, students, trainers, teachers, researchers, scientists, everybody!) Open is an entire movement which includes Opensource software, Open Data, Open Textbooks, Open Educational Resources, and much more. Open content can be reused, shared, and often, modified. Although Public Domain content which has no copyright is often included in Open resources, copyright content is also included if it is licensed for use, such as under a Creative Commons license, which makes it easy to determine usage and citation policy (attribution).
Examples may be
- educational (Open Educational Resources aka OER, like lesson plans and course content in OER Commons),
- research oriented (e.g., journals in the DOJA),
- images such as those shared via social media and licensed for sharing and reuse,
- public domain content (like the Prelinger Archives in the Internet Archive), and much more.
Community colleges are getting involved with Open Educational Resources through the OE Consortium – Community College Consortium for Open Educational Resources (CCCOER), http://oerconsortium.org. Check out how Community Colleges are innovating with Open Education in this webinar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b8eDlmZeBg
Athens Technical College is exploring open resources through building a repository of open content, participating in the Open Community, and celebrating Open Access Week (2014 Announcement http://goo.gl/M8UY5I )
Some of our resources:
- Notes from OpenEd Conference
- Notes from ALG/OER Development Webinar
- Building a Community of Open at Athens Technical College
- OA Resources
- Our OER research.
Latest OER Webinars & News:
- Tech Bits: Copyright & Creative Commons in Education
- OER webinars from Lumen Learning
- Free OER webinar: Inside an Open Educational Resource Initiative: PDX Open at Portland State University
- OA/OER Webinars coming up
- Creative Commons - why is it and why you should you care?
- Searching collections by format
- Building a community of open at Athens Technical College
- OpenAccess Week : Introduction to OER (Tutorial)
- OA Webinar tomorrow!
- SPARC & Wikipedia Library Announce the Wikipedia Open Access Week Edit-a-thon