HP’s LIFE e-Learning online training program for entrepreneurs is free for anyone to use and will be the basis of the CTL’s Making It Happen: Entrepreneurship & Education Bootcamp. It focuses on real-life business and technology skills to start or grow businesses or integrate entrepreneurship lessons into your educational program. The courses are interactive, self-paced, and full of practical exercises. For more information about the Making It Happen Bootcamp visit http://ctlblog.athenstech.edu/making-it-happen-bootcamp/
Campers will choose at least one module from the list below to complete each week. Campers will receive a special login link to receive credit. In other words, you can’t do work before the camp starts! 🙂 If you complete all of the modules in a topic, you will receive a HP certificate. However, to receive credit in the Bootcamp you only need to complete 1 module in each topic, in addition to the assignments.
Assignments include completing a Pre-Camp and Post-Camp survey, a weekly reflection (blog) post, participation in a weekly 1 hour meeting, and completion of a lesson plan (template will be provided). Detailed instructions will follow.
Week 1: Pre-Camp Work (Survey, Kickoff, other activities)
Week 2: Finance
- Basics of finance: Learn key concepts to understand your expenses and find out when you will make a profit
- Profit and loss: Learn to calculate profit and loss (P&L) considering all costs, including your hidden expenses.
- Finding funding: Explore sources and strategies to obtain funding for your business.
- Cash flow: Explore how to monitor and track your cash flow.
- Sales forecasting: Learn why sales forecasting is important for your business and how to gather information to make a sales forecast.
Week 3: Marketing
- Social media marketing: Explore a range of social media marketing campaigns.
- Unique value proposition: Explore how you can differentiate your business from your competitors’ businesses.
- Selling online: Learn how to create effective online listings for your products.
- Setting prices: Explore how to price your products and services effectively.
- Marketing benefits vs. features: Learn how to effectively market the benefits of your product or service to your target market.
Week 4: Operations
- Maximizing capacity: Learn to maximize your business’s capacity to produce goods or services.
- Managing contact information: Explore how to easily capture and access key information about your customers and other contacts.
- Customer relationship management (CRM): Learn how to build your business by using a customer relationship management (CRM) tool.
- Hiring staff: Learn how to select the right candidate for a job and create a job application using word processing software.
- Inventory management: Learn ways to manage your inventory to maintain successful business operations and maximize your profit.
- IT for business skills: Determine the types of technology solutions that best address your business goals.
Week 5: Communication
- Your target audience: Explore how you can gather information about your customers and potential customers.
- Effective presentations: Create targeted and engaging presentations for a variety of audiences.
- Business email: Learn how to write business emails that effectively communicate with customers and suppliers.
- Presenting data: Learn about different types of charts and graphs that can help people understand and value your business.
- Effective business websites: Learn how to build a user-friendly website that meets your business goals and effectively reaches your target audience.
Week 6: Wrapup discussion, Lesson plans, Post-Survey